Saturday, January 22, 2011

Misfiring under load

Worn out fuel pump banjo fitting washer.

Off and on for the past six months or more, the Saab had been misfiring under load. It seemed to only happen when I'd been driving in stop and go traffic for 2 hours or more.

Recently it started getting worse. I couldn't even make it up a hill anymore. I'd tried working on the distributor, the hall sensor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc etc etc. Nothing seemed to make a difference.

Yesterday I decided to test the fuel pumps. When I pulled the cover off the pump, I found a puddle of gas in the rubber boot. I dried it out and started the car. After a few minutes I saw fuel accumulating in there again. The washers around the banjo fitting were weeping.

I called around and NOBODY could sell me just those washers. Several parts sellers offered to sell me the pump, which had the washers in the box. Sooo... $150-ish for two washers?!?!?!

I visited my local Napa and they stock copper washers. The ones they had in stock were a bit too big, but I tried them anyway. Two days of driving with those washers in place and NO LEAKS!

Top that off with the fact that my misfiring has gone away!

I still need to find a source for the correct washers, but it was nice to finally solve the problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment