Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dull Taillight Lenses





I've noticed that every older or "classic" car I've owned over the years has dull taillight lenses.

In the past I've tried:

  • Chrome Polish- NOT friendly to many plastics!
  • Toothpaste- Works, but a PITA. And you still need to polish somehow.
  • Meguiar's Plast-X- My favorite of the available chemicals. This is what it's made for!
Recently I realized that I should try buffing them. I have buffing wheels on my lathe that I use when I make pens and other stuff out of poly resin, or with an acrylic finish.

I pulled the lenses off the left side and gave them a quick scrub in the sink with hand soap and an old toothbrush. The insides were a bit dusty, but not bad at all. I was then able to examine them a little closer... The red sections of the corner lenses were far more oxidized than the yellow or clear sections. I'd noticed a similar thing on my old VW bus too.

I installed my white diamond wheel on the lathe, and loaded it up with white diamond compound. I buffed the outside of the lenses including the black trim and the edges. It only took a couple of minutes buffing to get the shine I wanted. What a huge improvement!

I then installed my wax buffing wheel and waxed the surfaces. While this wax won't provide a lot of protection, it does do a final polishing of the plastic. These lenses gleamed.

I installed the lenses on the car, turned my lights on, and took a picture. You can see a huge difference! After this pic I did the other side too. Much better! No more dull, dim tail lights!

1 comment:

  1. Our high quality Wireless Tow Lights is
    very affordable, cheap and easy to install.also you can find here
    Battery powered tow lights.wireless tow lights
    wireless trailer lights
    Wireless signal lights
    tail light system
    signal lights
    Tail lights
    tow
    lights

    ReplyDelete